This is a super tasty store cupboard recipe that will make you look like a domestic god/ goddess when your partner whines at you that all there is to eat in the house are two uninspiring potatoes. You can whip this dish up in around 40 minutes and then let them clear up the kitchen while you settle down with a well deserved glass of wine
- 2 large potatoes - peeled and diced into 2 centimetre cubes
- 1 tablespoon light tasting vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 1 large clove garlic - crushed
- 5 grams root ginger - peeled and grated
- 1 small green chilli - finely chopped
- 300 grams canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon coriander-cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 100 millilitres water
- A small handful of chopped coriander
- Par boil the potatoes for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them sizzle for a minute or two.
- Add the onions and let them cook on a lowish heat until they are soft and transparent.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chilli. Mix well and let it cook for a minute.
- Now add the potatoes, tomatoes, coriander-cumin powder, garam masala, chilli powder, turmeric, salt and water. Stir well.
- Put the lid on the pan and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Sprinkle coriander over the top of the dish and serve.