This is the perfect Indian salad for the Indian summer* that we are enjoying this week. The lemon juice removes the bite from the red onions making it a zesty crunchy salad ideal with barbequed meat.
* Apparently this isn't really an "Indian summer"; the definition of a true Indian summer is an unseasonably warm, dry and calm weather, following the first frost. Given that we haven't had any frost yet, this is just odd weather. Regardless - I'm happy!
- 1 small red onion - peeled and finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tomato
- A small handful of coriander - chopped
- Place the red onion and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Stir well and then leave for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, dice the tomato, discarding any excess juices.
- After the ten minutes, add the diced tomato and coriander to the onions and stir well.
- Add salt to taste.