Home » , , » Fresh mango puree

Fresh mango puree

Written By Reena on 28 May 2010 | 05:00


Gujaratis tend to  eat the sweet element of a meal alongside the main course.  When I was growing up, my mum would serve guests tinned mango pulp made slightly more interesting with the addition of lumps of Wall's vanilla ice cream.  I never mastered the act of eating savoury food interspersed with sweet morsels.  Relatives would question why I wasn't eating the sweet and my parents would laugh and say that I could only concentrate on  one part of the meal at a time.  I was (and still am) more of a sticky toffee pudding girl and I prefer my dessert to follow the main course.

I have been feeling slightly nostalgic recently and so I decided to revisit the mango pulp dessert using fresh mango.  I have continued with the use of ice cream but I have added lime juice to cut through the sweetness of the fruit and recommend using an ice cream with high butterfat content.  I serve this as a pre-dessert in shot glasses as it is a great palate cleanser before the main event - which is generally more traditionally British!  Not only is it quick to prepare, you can make it several hours prior to serving.  It is the perfect additional course for a dinner party.


Serves 4 as a pre-dessert

Ingredients

  • 4 teaspoons good quality vanilla ice cream.
  • 75 grams fresh mango - peeled, stoned and cut into large chunks
  • 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
Method
  1. Place a teaspoon of icecream into each shot glass.  Leave to soften.
  2. Puree the mango and lime juice into a smooth consistency and then spoon over the icecream in the shot glasses.
  3. Refrigerate until you serve.
  4. Serve with straws cut to an appropriate length.
SHARE

About Reena

5 comments :

  1. Love, love, love the photo! The lime juice is absolutely essential, it pairs well with mango (and papayas.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks KB! I might try lime with papayas next time. Take care Reena.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey reena, it was lovely to meet you at FBC last weekend. your pics and recipes look wonderful! wld love to try out this mango puree some time! I have just the perfect cups to put them into :) hope to catch you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heavenwildfleur. I am so flattered that you like my pics - the photos on your blog are simply beautiful. Speak to you soon. Reena

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so beautiful! About to give them a whirl, but Why in the fridge? Shouldn't this be frozen? What does the melted ice cream taste like?

    ReplyDelete