This recipe for chilli roasted cashew nuts is the perfect snack for munching on new year's day while watching a Hollywood classic (I suggest Casablanca or All About Eve) and nursing a hangover. The crunchiness of the cashews combine with the salt and spice to create a full flavoured snack that is scarily addictive. Be warned - the recipe below is hot. If you have an aversion to your mouth burning (in a good way) then reduce the quantities of chilli and black pepper.
Wishing you and your families a healthy, peaceful and happy 2010.
Serves 2 as a snack
- 100 grams uncooked cashew nuts
- 1/2 tablespoon light tasting vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees centigrade.
- Distribute the cashew nuts evenly on a baking tray.
- Roast the cashews for 8 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl place the oil, salt, black pepper and chilli powder. Mix well to create a paste.
- When the cashews are ready, add them to the mixing bowl and stir well to ensure they are all fully coated in the paste.
- Now return them to the baking tray and roast for a further 2 minutes.
- Let the cashews cool as they will have a slightly soft texture if eaten when warm.
- Serve with beer (or cocktails for the more sophisticated).