Garlic chutney

Written By Reena on 14 May 2010 | 05:00


A friend of ours came for dinner one night and we made Nigel Slater's chicken with 40 cloves of garlic.  While the chicken was resting, the three of us ate all 40 cloves and then during the meal we each consumed an additional roasted garlic bulb (Steve and I both feel that a garlic bulb per person is a pre-requisite for a roast dinner).  On our way to work the next day,  we climbed to the top deck of the bus and as we sat down, two builders in overalls looked at each other and said "phwoar can you smell garlic?".  They looked around, decided it couldn't possibly be emanating from us (I had an important meeting and so was dressed very smartly) and then opened the windows.  It was very embarrassing and I spent the whole day sitting as far away from everyone as possible.  Steve was leaving his job that day and as a leaving gift they presented him with a bottle of mouthwash as well as a very generous gift.  I would love to say that the experience encouraged us to reduce our garlic consumption but I think we are truly addicted.

This garlic chutney is fabulous with bhajias, chips and pretty much anything savoury.  It is incredibly simple to make and is actually quite balanced - I am sure that if consumed in moderation you will not reek at all.

Serves 2-3

Ingredients
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 25 millilitres water
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
  • 2 teaspoons chilli powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon coriander-cumin powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Method
  1. Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend to form a smooth paste.
  2. Serve immediately in a small bowl or store in the fridge for up to a week in an airtight container.
SHARE

About Reena

2 comments :

  1. I laughed at your experience and will continue to laugh as I recall it. I remember a comment by a friend of mine about 'curry armpits' and my own experience when my man said he tasted curry on me. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitblue, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm sure that there could be worse things to taste of than curry!

    ReplyDelete