Chilli popcorn

Written By Reena on 12 May 2010 | 05:00

Steve works with a lovely group of people (see note) and they have recently initiated a monthly film club.  This involves arranging the firm's plush conference room into auditorium style seating, eating pizza in the interval and watching a film on the screen usually reserved for dry PowerPoint slides. 

The film is chosen by popular vote but the nominations are provided by a different member of the club each month.  So far they have watched Casablanca (my all-time favourite film - I cry from the moment Ingrid Bergman appears on screen) and The Italian Job.  It is a great way to facilitate team bonding and has more imagination than a trip to the pub.

Although I have been invited I have not yet attended one of these evenings but I have provided snacks in the form of chilli popcorn.  These are more interesting to the taste buds than salty popcorn and have gone down very well with the film club - I hope you enjoy them too.

Note:  Although I haven't met him, my favourite is Bhargava because the last time I sent a cake for the team he told Steve that if I stood for prime minister he would vote for me.  This man clearly has good taste.

Serves 4-6


Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 100 grams popcorn maize
  • 10 grams ghee - melted (you can substitute ghee for butter if you prefer)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon chilli powder

Method

  1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan.
  2. Add the popcorn maize and place a lid on the pan. Turn the heat to medium high and let the maize heat. Shake the pan vigorously every minute or so to prevent it from burning. After a few minutes, you should start to hear the corn popping. Continue to occasionally shake the pan.
  3. When the popping subsides switch off the heat.
  4. Place the popped corn into a large mixing bowl.  Remove any unpopped kernels.
  5. Now drizzle a little of the melted ghee over the popcorn and using a spatula quickly (but gently) fold it into the popcorn to coat each kernel.  Repeat until all of the ghee has been used.
  6. In a small bowl mix the salt, garlic salt and chilli powder.  Add a little of the spice mix to the popcorn bowl and gently mix into the popcorn using the spatula.  Repeat until all of the mix has been used.
  7. You can either serve this immediately or let it cool and store for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
SHARE

About Reena

2 comments :

  1. this is a great idea! Soon the soccer worldcup starts and this is perfect for long TV evening :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angel and devils food - good point - I think I'll take some to my friend's house on Saturday to watch USA v UK! I have another popcorn recipe coming shortly - maybe I'll post it soon so that people can cook it during the world cup. Take care. Reena

    ReplyDelete