Another weekend and another barbecue. If only the summer had been this lovely! Growing up, family barbecues consisted of fabulous food such as masala lamb chops, these shish kebabs and a variety of fresh chutneys. Imagine my disappointment when I was invited to a friend's house for a barbecue and was presented with a frozen beef burger and a frankfurter!
- 5 plump cloves of garlic - peeled
- 5 small green chillies
- 1 cm of root ginger – peeled
- 450g minced lamb
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Blitz the garlic, chillies and ginger in a food processor (or chop finely) and add to the minced lamb along with the salt and black pepper to taste.
- If the lamb is lean add a teaspoon of oil otherwise you probably won’t need it. Essentially if you can see flecks of white fat in the meat, don’t add any oil.
- Knead well and then knead again.
- Shape into sausage shaped kebabs and then cook on the barbecue.
- Serve immediately with salad, pitta bread and coriander chutney.