This is a great dish to make when you are having people over for dinner as it can easily be prepared in advance and then popped in the oven an hour before you would like to eat.
- 20 small new potatoes (pebble sized) – washed
- 1 large onion (chopped very finely)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 cm - 2 cm lump of root ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1 green chilli (finely chopped)
- 3 teaspoons of coriander-cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon of hot chilli powder (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 5 spring onions (chopped)
- 1 small bunch coriander (chopped finely)
- 3 tablespoons of pure vegetable oil
- 4 large skinned chicken breast fillets (washed and cubed into one inch chunks)
- 200 ml water
- 25g butter
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and boil for 15 minutes.
- Place the onions, garlic, ginger, green chilli, coriander-cumin powder, garam masala, turmeric, chilli powder, salt, tomato puree, spring onions, 2 large fistfuls of chopped coriander and the oil in a large mixing bowl. Mix together thoroughly.
- Add the chicken and mix again.
- Transfer into an ovenproof dish with lid – scraping the bowl thoroughly.
- Add the par-boiled potatoes, water and butter to the dish. There’s no need to mix here – just let the ingredients sit on top of the chicken.
- Put the lid on the dish and put in the oven for 35-40 minutes. At this point check that the chicken and potatoes are cooked, garnish with the remaining coriander and serve with a green salad and rice or naan bread.