Our current level 3 heatwave led me to believe that Steve would require something cold and refreshing after his cycle ride home from work. Given my view of "beer bad" I decided to make some fresh ginger beer (completely non alcoholic) in order to fulfil my wifely duties. Steve seemed pleased enough (he definitely wasn't as hot and sweaty as when he first came through the door) but my feeling is that he would have still preferred a bottle of Summer Lightning.
Serves 4 thirsty people.
- 200 grams ginger
- 3 lemons
- 4 heaped teaspoons of moscovado sugar
- 1 litre sparkling mineral water
- Remove the skin of the ginger and grate coarsely into a large bowl.
- Cut the peel of one lemon into large strips taking care to avoid the pith and add this and the juice of all three lemons into the bowl.
- Add the moscovado sugar and stir the mixture thoroughly taking care to remove any lumps of sugar.
- Then add the sparkling mineral water and stir again.
- Leave the liquid for half an hour for the flavours to infuse and then using a sieve (to remove the ginger and lemon peel) pour the mixture into a jug filled with ice and serve immediately.