Steve has an aversion to mayonnaise so extreme that he treats any food served with a white sauce with scepticism. The recipe below is made with creme fraiche and tastes great - especially with a barbeque on a hot summer day. If you want a low fat version substitute natural set yogurt with the creme fraiche.
Serves 2-4 as an accompaniment
- 250 grams new potatoes
- 8 mint leaves - shredded
- 2 small spring onions - chopped (including the green stems)
- 1 large clove garlic - crushed
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 40 millilitres creme fraiche
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Boil the potatoes until cooked.
- Drain and leave them to one side to cool. This may take an hour or so.
- Once cool, dice the potatoes into 1 centimetre cubes.
- Place the mint leaves, spring onions, garlic, chilli flakes and creme fraiche in a small mixing bowl.
- Mix well and then season to taste with the salt and black pepper.
- Add the diced potatoes and mix again.