- "When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
- "What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
- "I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
- Pooh nodded thoughtfully.
- "It's the same thing," he said. — A.A. Milne
Given this breakfast obsession I created this granola recipe for him using his favourite nuts and dried fruits. It is really simple to make and having tried home made granola I don't think we are going to return to the shop bought variety.
- 8 tablespoons light tasting honey
- 1/2 teaspoon almond essence
- 400 grams rolled oats
- 100 grams shelled hazelnuts
- 100 grams shelled pecans
- 100 grams dried cranberries
- 100 grams sultanas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 40 grams light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees centigrade.
- Place the honey and almond essence in a small bowl and mix well.
- Place all the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir well.
- Add a tablespoon of the honey and almond essence mixture to the large mixing bowl and stir.
- Continue mixing in the honey and almond essence mixture a tablespoon at a time.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Spread the granola mixture evenly onto the parchment paper.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and cook for 15 minutes, stirring at 5 minute intervals.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and leave the granola to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.