This is another easy store cupboard recipe perfect for when you think you have nothing in the house to cook. It takes fewer than 20 minutes to prepare and has a fabulous crunchy texture as well as a deep flavour provided by the garam masala. Steve and I eat it with bread as we need a steady supply of carbohydrates for our daily commute by bicycle but it also works as a dish by itself - think of it as a spicy thick soup.
Serves 2 as a main course
- 1 tablespoon light tasting vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small onion - chopped
- 195 grams canned sweetcorn (drained weight 150 grams)
- 227 grams canned chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander-cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- small handful chopped coriander
- Heat the oil in a small pan.
- Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for a minute or two.
- Now add the chopped onion and let them cook until they are soft and transparent.
- Drain the sweetcorn and add it to the pan along with the tomatoes, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin powder, salt and garam masala. Stir well.
- Cover the pan and let it cook on a low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with the coriander and serve.