Both Steve and I are suffering from lingering colds and we are now sick of being sick! We have both lost our appetites but this recipe has been cheering us up in the evenings. It is based on a drink that Steve tried in a jazz bar whilst on business in Moscow in 2008. He was suffering with a cold at that point too and this kept him going while his team got merry on vodka and champagne!
- 400 millilitres apple juice
- 4 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 drops vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 10 grams butter
- 100 millilitres rum
- Place the apple juice, cloves, cinnamon, vanilla essence, sugar and butter in a pan. Heat gently, stirring until the sugar and butter have melted.
- Put a lid on the pan and continue to let it heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir the contents of the pan and then switch off the heat.
- Add the rum to the pan and stir well.
- Pour into mugs and serve immediately.
This also tastes great without the rum.