This is a healthy, low fat dish and unusually for my recipes it is quite dry. It is easy to make and we find it quite tasty. However I have never cooked it for anyone else and so I would be interested to hear feedback from any of you. If you have any questions regarding the ingredients or methodology please get in touch.
Serves 2-3 as a main course
- 350g small new potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of light tasting vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
- 1 medium sized onion
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 large courgettes
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander-cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon of red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 handful of fresh coriander (cilantro)
- First chop the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and boil in a pan for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- While they are boiling, heat the oil in a thick-bottomed pan (that has a lid) on a medium heat.
- Turn the heat down low and then add the cumin to the oil and let it fry for a couple of minutes.
- Chop the onion and add it to the cumin along with the salt and crushed garlic. Let them cook on a lowish heat.
- Meanwhile, wash the courgettes and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Once the onion has become transparent, add the turmeric, coriander-cumin powder and red chilli powder. Stir the mixture and then add the courgettes, par-boiled potatoes and lemon juice.
- Stir well and then put the lid on the pan and cook until the courgettes and potatoes are tender stirring occasionally. Actual cooking time will vary depending on variables such as the size of courgettes and variety of potato but expect it to be in the region of 40 minutes. Remove the lid for the last five minutes of cooking to let the edges of the courgettes and potatoes get slightly dark and crispy. During this time taste the dish to check the seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Once cooked, add a handful of chopped fresh coriander and stir into the dish.
- Your courgettes are now ready to be served with a green salad.