This is a quick and healthy recipe that I created the other day after a lack of communication between Steve and myself resulted in an abundance of baby potatoes and spring onions. We both enjoyed the meal and so promptly made the dish again the next day so that I could capture the recipe to share.
Serves 2 as a light lunch or 4 as an accompaniment
- 300 grams baby potatoes - cut in half if not already bite sized
- 1 tablespoon light vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black onion seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 dried red chilli (optional)
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 1 tomato - chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 spring onions - chopped (including the green stalks)
- Place the potatoes in boiling water, put a lid on the pan and boil for 10 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in another pan and then add the mustard, cumin, fenugreek, black onion seeds, fennel seeds and dried red chilli.
- Let the spices sizzle for a minute and then add the chopped onions. Stir well and let they cook until they are soft and transparent.
- Drain the potatoes and then add them to the onions. Stir well and then add the chopped tomato, turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Stir again.
- Place the lid on the pan and let everything cook for 7-8 mins or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Now add the spring onions, stir and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.