Home » , » Pam’s plate pie – corned beef and potato

Pam’s plate pie – corned beef and potato

Written By Reena on 9 Oct 2009 | 07:17


Given the number of Indian recipes on this blog I thought it was time to celebrate Steve’s cultural heritage. Pam and her husband Colin are family friends and have known Steve since he was under 3 feet tall. We both agree that her corned beef and potato pie is our favourite dish from the North East of England. It is served at all Geordie christenings, funerals and parties and goes very well with pickled onions and cheese and pineapple on a cocktail stick!

NB This recipe uses the UK variety of corned beef. I have not been able to ascertain what the US equivalent of this meat is but it definitely isn't the same as American corned beef.  Please add a comment if you know what the American equivalent is.

Serves 4-6

Ingredients

For the pastry:
  • 180 grams plain flour
  • 100 grams butter – cold from the fridge – cut into small chunks
  • Ice cold water
For the filling:
  • 1 large onion – coarsely chopped
  • 2 large potatoes – chopped into wedges
  • 400 grams lean corned beef – cut into smallish pieces (Marks and Spencer sell very high quality (an oxymoron?) fresh corned beef) 
  • Salt
  • Black pepper
  • 1 egg – beaten or milk
Method
  1. Place the flour in a large mixing bowl.
  2. Add the butter and rub into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
  3. Add water (a tablespoon at a time) to form a soft, smooth ball of dough.
  4. Wrap the dough in a clean tea towel and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  5. Heat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
  6. Cook the chopped onion in boiling water for approximately 6 minutes until soft.
  7. Drain the onions but keep the water (which will now be a lurid green colour) and leave it to one side.
  8. Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes and then mash them in a large bowl. I find a potato ricer is the best way to mash potatoes and doesn’t require any additional milk or butter.
  9. Add the corned beef, onions, salt and pepper to the mashed potatoes. Mix it all together and if necessary add some of the onion water to make a soft but firm consistency. Taste to check the seasoning and adjust as necessary.
  10. Divide the pastry into two and roll out such that one half is large enough to line a large ovenproof dinner plate and the other half is large enough to use as a pastry lid.
  11. Line the plate with pastry and then cover with the corned beef mixture.
  12. Brush the edges of the pastry with water so that the pastry lid sticks.
  13. Put pastry lid on the pie and brush with a little milk or beaten egg and bake until the pastry is nicely browned - about 25 - 30 minutes.
  14. This pie is delicious served hot or cold. 
Note: There may be enough mixture from this to get another small tea plate sized pie - it depends on how full you make the first pie and how big a plate you use.

Variation

Adding a little Tabasco and Worcester Sauce to the pie filling at the same time as the seasoning, gives the pie an added dimension and makes it not unlike corned beef hash. However this is yet another variation that Steve disapproves of – although I did notice that he kept eating while he expressed his indignation.
SHARE

About Reena

35 comments :

  1. This corned beef pie recipe is just what I was looking for. It is a variation of one I used to make but with more flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anon. I hope you enjoy it! It's definitely a favourite in our house! Best regards. Reena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I boil the potatoes and onion together and add a stock cube for more flavour. Then mash in the corned beef before filling the pastry case. That's the way we do it in Wales!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous. That's very interesting. I'm making corned beef hash tonight and I think I'll try your suggestion - the stock cube is a genius idea! Thanks for taking the time to comment. Reena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm from Northumberland in the north east of England and I've just used your recipe for this plate pie, it was delicious, thanks so much for posting, it was quite hard to find a good recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anonymous. Greetings from the South of England. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it - and a compliment from a Northerner is high praise indeed! All the best. Reena

    ReplyDelete
  7. i will certainly be trying this
    im from south yorkshire i will certainly let you know my verdict
    all the best

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anon. Can't wait to hear it! Enjoy. Reena

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a really good idea about adding a stock cube. My mum always used to spread a bit of mustard on the pastry base before adding the filling - try it and see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mum is from the northeast of England and used to make this regularly. I usually make it using a tin of corned beef but I have some left over corned silverside which I need to use up so I'm pleased I found your recipe. Having grown up in Australia, I wasn't aware of the connection to christenings and funerals until I went back to Enlgland for my Granny's funeral in Durham. Sure enough, there was a corned beef and potato pie on the table (at the wake!). Not the plate variety I was used to, (it was more of a slice) however, it was a corned beef and potato pie all the same! I'll let you know how it turns out. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi ThermoJules! Thanks for much for your comment. Sorry to hear about your Granny. I hope you enjoy the pie. All the best. Reena

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anonymous - I like your thinking with the mustard. I'm a wholegrain mustard fan so will definitely be giving that a go. Anyone else got any more top tips? R

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just like my mother in Co Durham used to make it except she would always use ground white pepper to give it more zing. Canned corned beef in the USA is the same as in England.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I grew up in the northeast and had this recipe many times but for a change i used all the above ingrediants but i cubed the corned beef ,potatoes and added cooked diced carrots mixed together with boiled onions salt /pepper adding a few spoonfulls of the boiling liquor for moistness and baked as above. It was very tasty, i guess you could call it corned beef & Veg pie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Anon - thanks for the great tip. Reena

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi can I freeze this once it is cooked?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anon - yes, you can freeze the pie once cooked - make sure you use a freezer safe plate. To reheat, put it in the oven at 150 degrees for 45 mins - it should be crisp and piping hot throughout. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Am gonna attempt 2 make this pie this afternoon fingers crossed it turns out ok

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Anonymous Good luck! I have all fingers and toes crossed for you. Let me know how it comes out. Best regards, Reena

    ReplyDelete
  20. It cam out gr8 thanks so gr8 am makin it agen now lol :-))))

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Anonymous! I'm so pleased that you liked it! Have a great weekend. Reena

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi
    I use stock cube and add a little HP brown sauce - to give it a bit more taste - yummy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Anon - sounds great! Thanks for the tip. Reena

    ReplyDelete
  24. it also should have swede carrot and mixed herbs in the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm originally from County Durham and my mum used to make the pie without the diced carrots... I remember it as a Thursday dish using ileft over mash from the previous day's dinner -it's delicious! She also sometimes made the pie with finely sliced uncooked potatoes, layered with the corned beef and onions and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. although it did take longer to cook it was lovely with mushy peas! I just love corned beef and tatie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Anonymous from County Durham - I agree - it's the best! Take care, Reena

    ReplyDelete
  27. can you freeze this pie

    ReplyDelete
  28. can I freeze the pie before it is cooked?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Anonymous. Yes you can freeze the pie once cooked. Best, Reena

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Anonymous, I've never tried to freeze the pie pre-cooking but I suspect that if the meat hasn't been frozen previously, it should be fine. All the best. Reena

    ReplyDelete
  31. this recipe or one almost identical has been used and made in wales for donkeysyears we put all the veg and pots together and boil until soft then mash with the corned beef and some mixed herbs seasoned well . we call this in wales plate pasty the pastry is made with lard by the way to make the pastry rich and flavoursome the veg we use in wales are carrots swede and onions this makes it a comfort food indeed we serve it with chips as a general rule and is great served cold alsono worcestershire sauce or any other sauce or condiment are usedonly salt and pepper

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Ian. It appears that versions of this recipe appear all over the UK. I'll have to give the Welsh version a try soon. All the best. Reena

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm from County Durham and just about to make this. It is indeed an old family favourite. I have the memory of my grandma making it firmly imprinted in my mind. However we don't use onion. It was a quick dish she would knock up at the end of baking day for tea along with jam tarts with the left over scraps of pastry. It is also as mentioned a popular christening dish and a staple at all funerals. It's definitely comfort food at a wake and lines the stomach well for the farewell drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks getting in touch Kelly!

    ReplyDelete