Yotam Ottolenghi raved about the virtues of cauliflower on Radio 4 a few weeks ago, likening the vegetable’s ability to absorb flavours to that of meat. As a child I loved this dish but we don’t make it very often at home as Steve tends to screw his face up like a prune when I suggest it as a dinner option.
- 300g potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of light tasting vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion – finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of coriander-cumin powder
- 1cm square of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 small green chilli finely chopped
- 1 plump clove of garlic, crushed
- 300g canned chopped tomatoes
- 100g peas
- 174g cauliflower – broken into small florets
- Cut the potatoes into bite sized pieces and boil them for 10 minutes
- Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds to the pan. Once the seeds have stopped spitting add the onion and let it cook until transparent.
- Add the salt, tumeric, chilli powder, garam masala, coriander cumin powder, ginger, chilli and garlic to the pan. Stir well and let it cook for a minute or two.
- Add the tomatoes, peas, cauliflower and drained potatoes to the pan.
- Stir well, add a lid to the pan and let it cook on a lowish heat until the potatoes and cauliflower are cooked – probably 20-25 minutes.
- Serve immediately with rice or naan bread.
I just made this and it was amazing! Thank you for posting.ReplyDelete
Hi D. Thank you for your kind comment. All the best. ReenaReplyDelete
I agree with D, what a tasty dish. Thank you for adding a bit of spice to my dinner!ReplyDelete
Hi Rose, You're very welcome - thank you for taking the time to post a comment. It always cheers me up. ReenaReplyDelete
that looks very delicious! i need some healthy recipes as I am about to start Slimming world :( Will definitely try this. Oh and I LOVE Ottolenghi!ReplyDelete
Hi Miss Morris, Good luck with slimming world! Let me know how you get on. ReenaReplyDelete