This recipe is from our yoga teacher, James. He is a very friendly chap and he first tasted this when he was out food shopping one day and ended up sharing a delicatessen owner’s lunch! Anyway Steve and I both enjoy this dish especially because of the comforting texture of the cannellini beans combined with fresh bread.
Serves 2 as a light lunch
- 235g canned cannellini beans (drained weight)
- 4 medium sized ripe tomatoes – coarsely chopped
- A handful of fresh chopped coriander or fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Half a loaf of fresh bread
- Heat the beans and the water from the can in a small pan.
- Once hot, drain and place in a large bowl along with the tomatoes, coriander, olive oil and a little salt and pepper.
- Gently mix the ingredients and then taste to check the seasoning.
- Slice the fresh bread and lightly toast.
- Place the bread on the serving dishes and then spoon the cannellini and tomato mixture on top of the slices. Serve immediately.
In it’s original form, this recipe included a quarter of a cucumber, chopped and added at the same time as the tomatoes. Due to Steve’s inexplicable aversion to cucumbers (“They are Satan’s food.”) I have not included it here, however I am sure it will be delicious.