Steve and I are currently in the Californian desert for a three day music festival called Coachella where we plan on lying around in 100 degree heat, drinking lemonade slush puppies and listening to awesome music (I'm particularly excited about Suede, Elbow and Arcade Fire). In preparation for the festival we have been playing tennis, eating bagels, lying by the pool and generally recovering from a very stressful time at work.
To make this "training" even more realistic I made some fresh lemonade for us to sip by the pool. Rose essence is used extensively in Indian desserts and I thought it would add a nice twist. If you don't like the idea of the rose flavour, just omit the rose water from the recipe below.
Makes 2 glasses
- 200 millilitres lemon juice (around 3 lemons)
- 50 grams granulated white sugar
- 1 blackberry
- 1/2 teaspoon rose water
- 300 millilitres cold water
- Roll the lemons firmly on a work surface and then juice them. Rolling them beforehand makes it easier to extract the juice.
- Place the juice, sugar and blackberry in a medium sized mixing bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Crush the blackberry against the side of the bowl to release the juices. The mixture should become a lovely pink colour.
- Add the rose water and water and stir again.
- Serve over ice.